Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lighting the corners of my mind....

Memories...

Did you ever glimpse an image so simple yet strong -- an image which transplanted you instantly and completely back to another time in your life?


This simple image

stopped me in my tracks as I was washing dishes one night. This handy flat container was left behind in my fridge (thanks Jeremy!) after a very fancy dinner party which was an auctioned item at my son's school fund-raiser. The guest chef heard me lamenting about how I loved and missed those well-made, can stand up to a thousand commercial washings, just down-right practical containers. Once you're out of the restaurant business, they just don't come your way very often. Go to all the tupperware parties you can find -- you won't see this.

The funny part of this flashback was the frustration. Perhaps it's a rule -- maybe restaurant employees aren't supposed to remove the old masking tape label that might say, for instance, "chicken salad", when actually it's raw salmon. Or portioned sea bass. Or whatever.

Oh, if only I had a dollar for every strip of masking tape I've peeled off...

No comments: